Re: [GENERAL] Re: user guide

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris <csmith(at)squiz(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: user guide
Date: 2001-08-07 00:14:06
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Chris <csmith(at)squiz(dot)net> writes:
>>> I have a suggestion, as well: I think the PostgreSQL documentatio could
>>> use a section that discusses all the maintenance issues in one place.
>>
>> I agree. Do I hear a volunteer to write it?

> I'd be interested in looking at it.
> Is it just this todo item : Add mention of VACUUM, log rotation to
> Administrator's Guide ?

That was added as a result of the thread starting at
http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=115811

There are two things I think we need: one is a discussion of each of
these topics (which AFAIR are presently discussed nowhere); the other
is a short "checklist of maintenance concerns" that links to longer
discussions of each relevant topic. For example, there's already a
discussion of backup methods, but it'd be good if that were listed in a
checklist of things for the budding admin to think about.

Or you could reorganize the Admin Guide so that backup and these other
things are sections in a Maintenance chapter. Not sure if that'd be
better.