Re: Java's set of timezone names

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vadim Nasardinov <vadimn(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Java's set of timezone names
Date: 2005-07-20 23:16:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Vadim Nasardinov <vadimn(at)redhat(dot)com> writes:
> If 8.0 comes with its own copy of a recent zic database, then, in
> theory, it should be able to handle any timezone known to Java. (The
> opposite is not necessarily true, as Java's timezone info seems to be
> missing a lot of recent changes.) Does that sound like a correct
> statement to you or did I forget some important qualifiers?

Yeah, it seems that we are just open to version skew issues between
different copies of the zic database ... which changes enough that
that's a nontrivial risk, but I fear we are unlikely to do better.

In any case, it seems that the arguments about which side is likely
to know more timezone names than the other side are moot; we should
not let that consideration drive the design choice.