Re: Incremental Backup of a particular database

From: "Jason Minion" <jason(dot)minion(at)sigler(dot)com>
To: "Yogvinder Singh" <yogvinder(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in>, "Shoaib Mir" <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Incremental Backup of a particular database
Date: 2007-01-18 16:02:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

There is no incremental backup process that focuses on an individual
database for PostgreSQL. Anything that has to do with PITR on a
PostgreSQL installation is system-wide, and cannot be configured to
support a single database out of many in an installation. If you need to
support PITR with a single database, you will need to initdb another
directory and set up another PostgreSQL postmaster to manage that
installation separate from your primary installation (and on a different
port, etc), or set up PostgreSQL for that specific database on another
server.

Also, there really are no incremental backup tools for PostgreSQL,
assuming you are looking at an incremental backup in the way that the
Progress database system takes an incremental backup (copy of all of the
blocks changed since the last full or incremental backup). PostgreSQL
has PITR, which is a roll-forward system using log data from a full
point-in-time backup, as well as pg_dump. One could say that the log
files are the incremental backups. However, many commercial database
systems (that many are migrating to PostgreSQL from) provide both an
"incremental" backup option (very fast recovery) as well as a "log based
recovery" option (slow recovery), and of the two, PostgreSQL supports
only the log based recovery through PITR.

Please correct me where possible guys, I enjoy the stability and
useability of my PostgreSQL very much, but I have to admit that I lose a
bit more sleep over it than some other db's with regards to recovery
time in a DR scenario. I am very eager to see where we go in the future.

Jason Minion
jason(dot)minion(at)sigler(dot)com