Re: logfile rotation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: logfile rotation
Date: 2004-06-13 16:52:17
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
> Tom doesn't like returning the server's logfile using a pgsql function
> unless logfile rotation is implemented, so here it is.

This uses a shared memory area with no lock, which seems a bad design;
but the alternative of having a lock is even worse, since the postmaster
would also have to take the lock. We agreed long ago that the
postmaster should never depend on the correctness of any shared memory
data structure; but this patch would make it do so.

I really don't think this is an acceptable solution.