Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery
Date: 2004-07-18 05:04:43
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> So you want to merge them all into a single command string. That does
> seem less error-prone. I see a few variables that turn off
> when set to '' like unix_socket_*. How would this command string work?
> How do you specify the WAL file name to transfer?

No different from before, necessarily. However I did not like the
restriction to a single %s in the submitted implementation. What I
have in my local copy is
%p -> full path of XLOG file to be archived
%f -> base name of XLOG file to be archived
and the suggested example becomes
archive_command = 'cp %p /mnt/server/pgarchive/%f'

Note that this example immediately eliminates one of the failure modes
Simon enumerates in his README, which is to try 'cp %s /foo' where /foo
isn't a directory. More generally, though, *only* a cp-to-directory
solution is likely to be very happy with not being able to get at the
base file name. Yes you can make a shellscript and use basename,
but I don't think you should have to do that if it could otherwise
be a one-liner.

(In case it's not obvious from the above, I am hacking with intent to
commit soon. Maybe tomorrow, if my wife doesn't make me paint the
bathroom instead...)