Re: damage control mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-10 06:38:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> ... I don't see much sense in worrying about it now; the 2 weeks between end
> of CF and Beta are when we need to be cut-throat. Given that this time the
> "must-have" feature is already in the tree, I think you will find people coming
> around quickly to the side of pushing things out rather than fighting to get
> things in.

I think the other Robert's main point is that getting to beta in only
two weeks is ridiculously optimistic (which I'm afraid I agree with).
I believe that what he's proposing is tossing enough stuff overboard
so that we can finish the January CF in much less than a month, and
thereby have more time for alpha-level testing and stabilization of
the tree.

Now the other approach we could take is that we'll ship *something*
on 7 Mar, even if it's less stable than what we've traditionally
considered to be beta quality. I don't think that really helps
much though; it just means we need more time in beta.