Moving from MS SQL Server to PostgreSql 8.3

From: dvanatta <dvanatta(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Moving from MS SQL Server to PostgreSql 8.3
Date: 2009-10-01 16:15:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am converting my Sql Server stored procs to Postrgre functions. I have the
following stored proc:

create stored procedures (@lastname varchar(50))
as
select
firstname
,lastname
from users
where lastname = @lastname

Looking at the documentation for Postgres functions has me confused. I
don't want to create a Table Type for each of my stored procs. I am wanting
the function to have minimal syntax as possible, like the Sql Server stored
proc. I read somewhere -- can't find it now -- that Postgres 8.3 had some
"syntactical sugar" to make functions act more like Sql Server stored procs
with less syntax.

Can someone please show me what this simple stored proc would look like in
Postgres 8.3 with minimal syntax?

Thanks