Re: pg_ctl stop -m fast

From: "Johnson, Heather" <HJohnson(at)nypost(dot)com>
To: "Lee Wu " <Lwu(at)mxlogic(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_ctl stop -m fast
Date: 2004-10-28 17:24:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

I've seen this happen. I think it happens because we have a Postgres database that is serving multiple webservers getting a high level of traffic. If you try to shut down the database while the webservers are still initiating connections to it, pg_ctl has trouble shutting it down, even with -m fast. But if you can stop the webservers from initiating new connections before you try and shut down the db, pg_ctl works fine.

Heather Johnson
Senior Database Programmer
New York Post