Depending on system install scripts (was Re: COBOL)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jarom Hagen <jhagen(at)telematch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Depending on system install scripts (was Re: COBOL)
Date: 2001-03-08 14:59:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Jarom Hagen <jhagen(at)telematch(dot)com> writes:
> Yes, we have an evil COBOL compiler from MicroFocus that put that install
> script there. I was really confused why postgres wanted a COBOL system. :-)

I've suggested a couple of times that since we include install-sh in our
distro anyway, it's pointless and unnecessarily risky to go looking for
a platform-supplied install program. However, I could never quite get
anyone else to see the reasoning. Now that I have this sterling example
to point to, I'm going to start rattling the cage again. Why don't we
get rid of the configure-time search for 'install', and just always use
our own script?

regards, tom lane