Re: [INTERFACES] Loading libpgtcl on HP-UX Systems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Orsinger <orsingerc(at)epg-gw1(dot)lewis(dot)army(dot)mil>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Loading libpgtcl on HP-UX Systems
Date: 1999-07-29 22:22:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Craig Orsinger <orsingerc(at)epg-gw1(dot)lewis(dot)army(dot)mil> writes:
> I'm having difficulty with loading the libpgtcl on an
> HP-UX 10.20 system. The PostgreSQL version is 6.4.2. When I
> run pgaccess, or another TCL script that requires loading
> libpgtcl.so (or libpgtcl.sl), it fails with a "no such file"
> message.

The problem is that libpgtcl.sl requires libpq.sl, and the dynamic
loader doesn't know where to look for the latter. You need to
set up an appropriate shlib search path. (Eventually we are going
to fix things so that the installed copy of libpgtcl.sl contains
the absolute path of the installed copy of libpq.sl, which should
remove the need for a search path, but it's not done yet.)

> - setting SHLIB_PATH to /opt/postgres/lib

That would have worked if your wish executable was marked to use
SHLIB_PATH, but it likely ain't. Use chatr(1) to inspect and change
the SHLIB_PATH-enabled flag on a binary. Alternatively, embed the
right search path into the binary at its link time (the installed
copies of pgtclsh and pgtksh are set up that way on HPUX).

> Upgrading to a more recent version of TCL/Tk or PostgreSQL
> is acceptable, providing I can be assured that this will cure the
> problem.

You should upgrade to 6.5.1 on general principles, but this particular
issue has not changed.

regards, tom lane