Re: vacuum error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: brian <brian(at)misanthropia(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuum error
Date: 2001-06-15 18:38:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

brian <brian(at)misanthropia(dot)com> writes:
> I have a small database with a few tables and a view. When I issue the
> vacuum command, I get:

> ERROR: cannot read block 5 of pg_description_objoid_index: Input/output
> error

Ugh, sounds like a disk hardware problem :-(. Better think about new
drives, or at least reformatting the one you have.

As a short-term workaround to be able to dump your DB, I'd suggest just
DROP INDEX pg_description_objoid_index;
(you'll have to set the magic switch that allows modification of system
tables first).

You could try reindexing pg_description, but since this is a highly
noncritical index, it's probably easier just to get rid of it.