Re: psql: Make SSL info display more compact

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: Make SSL info display more compact
Date: 2022-02-28 15:12:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
> On 28 Feb 2022, at 12:56, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 28.02.22 11:50, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
>>> How about making it show "compression: on" if compression is on, but
>>> nothing in the common "off" case?

>> That would work for me.

> On POLA grounds I would prefer to never to show it. If we ever get libpq
> compression and want to show that, I'd prefer that we didn't end up
> "compression" meaning one thing except when it means two things.

Well, any such output would presumably be on a different line and
thus distinguishable from the SSL property; plus, it'd be impossible
for both forms to show up in the same connection.

However, how about writing "SSL compression: on" versus writing
nothing? That avoids doubt about what it means. I don't buy
Michael's argument that this is ambiguous, either.