Re: Data transfer very slow when connected via DSL

From: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data transfer very slow when connected via DSL
Date: 2007-06-21 21:26:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

I wrote:

>Hello Harald,
>
>>I do not have a solution, but I can confirm the problem :)
>
>At least that rules out any misconfiguration issues :-(

I did a quick test with my application and enabled the ODBC logging.

Fetching the 50 rows takes 12 seconds (without logging 8 seconds) and
examining the log I found what I suspected: the performance is directly
related to the ping time to the server since fetching one tuple requires a
round trip to the server.

Rainer

PS: I wonder why pgAdminIII requires twice the time to retrieve the data.