Re: Index creation takes for ever

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index creation takes for ever
Date: 2003-08-28 16:19:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr writes:
> I've reinitdb (on 7.4b) with LANG=C and it worked.
> So I reinitDB with LANG=FR and used LANG=C to psql -f xxx.sql template1 to
> recreate the db and it worked too...

That's weird. I don't understand why an initdb in the same locale would
make the problem go away.

> I did'nt initdb between cvs changes, maybe that's why.

If you had only seen the problem in 7.4b then I could believe that theory,
but since you also saw it in the stable 7.3 installation, I don't.

> would LANG=C psql -c"reindex table blah" db would help?

No, the LANG environment of psql wouldn't make the slightest difference
here.

I don't think you told us your platform? (OS version, kernel, compiler,
etc)