Re: null != null ???

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: thomas(at)pgsql(dot)com
Cc: Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio(at)mmrd(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: null != null ???
Date: 2001-10-26 16:34:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> Yes, this is an explicit feature in our parser to help out poor MSAccess
> souls who have a product which generates illegal SQL queries. We put in
> a specific rule to convert "anything=NULL" to "anything IS NULL", which
> *is* legal syntax.

It should also be noted that as of 7.2, this transformation is optional
(see "transform_null_equals" runtime parameter), and the default is NOT
to make the transformation --- ie, as of 7.2 the default behavior is
SQL-spec-compliant:

regression=# select null = null;
?column?

(1 row)

regression=# set transform_null_equals TO 1;
SET VARIABLE