Re: plpgsql question: inserting records

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql question: inserting records
Date: 2007-10-26 19:16:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com> writes:
> There has to be an easy way to do this and I'm just being stupid and
> missing it. What I want to do is, in plpgsql, insert a record (of the
> right type) into a table without having to list all the columns of the
> table. For example, I'd like to do:

Some experimentation says that "VALUES(t_rec.*)" will work as long as
t_rec is declared as the table's rowtype, and not generic "record".
(I didn't try it further back than 8.1 though.)

For future-proofing purposes I'd advise spelling it with extra
parentheses: VALUES((t_rec).*). It doesn't matter right now but
might someday.