Re: pgbench - startup delay

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbench - startup delay
Date: 2007-12-11 01:50:35
Lists: pgsql-patches

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> That clarifies the situation well enough for me. I think this is a two
> part problem then. It's not necessarily obvious that pgbench will use
> PGOPTIONS. In addition to that, the current documentation is less clear
> than it could be on the subject of what you can usefully put into
> PGOPTIONS. That's two small documentation patches I should be able to
> handle.

BTW, PGOPTIONS is actually just the environment-variable fallback for
the pgoptions argument to PQsetdbLogin() or the options=whatever
component of the conninfo string for PQconnectdb() --- it's the same
sort of animal as PGHOST or PGPORT. So those provide alternate paths
for getting at the same functionality, and any documentation patch
should be clear about this.