Re: Pruning the TODO list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pruning the TODO list
Date: 2012-06-21 14:00:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 21 June 2012 08:30, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> Nonetheless, it would be a good idea to prune the TODO list regularly,
>> such as after a release. We used to do that a bit, not so much lately,
>> perhaps. But everyone is invited to contribute to that.

> The idea is to remove contentious issues from the list, to avoid the
> waste of time.

The thing is, a lot of stuff gets punted to the TODO list *because*
it's contentious, ie there's not consensus on what to do. If there
were consensus we might've just done it already. I'm not sure we want
to remove such entries, though perhaps somehow marking them as debatable
would be a good thing.

There may well be stuff on the list that is no longer very relevant in
today's world, but somebody would have to go through it item by item
to decide which ones those are. I'm not volunteering.