Re: inline newNode()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inline newNode()
Date: 2002-10-10 04:00:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Can someone explain to me why memset() would ever be better than MemSet()?

memset() should *always* be faster than any C-coded implementation
thereof. Any competent assembly-language writer can beat C-level
locutions, or at least equal them, if he's willing to expend the
effort.

I've frankly been astonished at the number of platforms where it
seems memset() has not been coded with an appropriate degree of
tenseness. The fact that we've found it useful to invent MemSet()
is a pretty damning indictment of the competence of modern C-library
authors.

Or am I just stuck in the obsolete notion that vendors should provide
some amount of platform-specific tuning, and not a generic library?