Re: is there a default client encoding?

From: Neil Best <nbest(at)ci(dot)uchicago(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is there a default client encoding?
Date: 2009-07-13 20:17:53
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Ludek Finstrle-2 wrote:

> psqlODBC tries to do it automatically for you. If you want see what
> client_encoding is used enable mylog output and there is called
> set client_encoding in the relative begin of mylog.
>
> . . .
>
> The psqlODBC has strange behaviour. It set automatic client_encoding
> _after_ user defined connection settings. So you could change the
> client encoding only from application. You could call
> set client_encoding SQL statement.

Is this still how the driver behaves? I don't see client_encoding
explicitly in mylog when I leave the Connection Settings input blank in the
ODBC configuration. I have tried entering "set client_encoding = 'WIN874';"
and it seems to be ignored altogether.

Is there something I can do in the Control Panel or elsewhere to control the
client encoding? I am trying to load some MS Access data that has Thai
characters (WIN874 = "Thai (Windows)") to a Postgres server via ODBC using
either Access 2007 or Stat/Transfer 9, neither of which give me an
opportunity to set the client encoding after the connection has been made.

The ODBCng driver seems to offer some control over the client encoding but
when I use that driver most of my records do not make it to the Postgres
database for some reason when using Stat/Transfer and Access just crashes.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Neil