Re: pgcrypto: fix for broken solaris openssl, v03

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Zdenek Kotala" <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pgcrypto: fix for broken solaris openssl, v03
Date: 2007-09-29 02:21:35
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> solaris openssl refuses to handle keys longer than 128bits.
> So something like the current patch should be still applied
> as a near-term fix.

Applied to HEAD and 8.2. I wasn't sure if there was interest in
patching further back, or if the patch was meant to work further back.
Let me know if you're not happy.

> But I'm starting to think that the blowfish
> check should be #ifdef __solaris__ only. Has anyone good reasons
> why it should apply to everyone?

As long as we've got to have the code, we may as well use it --- it's
possible that Sun isn't the only vendor who got worried about the crypto
export laws. Your caching of the result should be enough to ensure that
the overhead is negligible.