Re: pg_autovacuum: short, wide tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: mark reid <mail(at)markreid(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum: short, wide tables
Date: 2005-07-08 17:29:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> In particular, I think people would like to be able to use the stats
>> views to see how much toast-related I/O is going on, and not have that
>> smushed together with main-table I/O.

> Fair enough, but how are you planning to display the data,

At the moment I'm thinking "just like a regular table" --- see my
last message to Alvaro. The existing backend code will count each
toast-chunk insert or delete just like a normal row insert or delete,
so AFAICS this will produce sane-looking stats that autovac could
use the same way as for a plain table.

The main bit of additional logic that might be needed is an awareness
that firing a VACUUM on a main table will implicitly fire one on its
toast table, and so you'd not want to go and issue the toast table
VACUUM separately.