Re: [BUGS] pg_sorttemp files eating my drive!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bret A(dot) Barker" <bret(at)hypefiend(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] pg_sorttemp files eating my drive!
Date: 1999-11-17 05:00:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Bret A. Barker" <bret(at)hypefiend(dot)com> writes:
> I just upgraded to PostgreSQL 6.5.3 from version 6.3.2 and now after a
> bit of use (this is a databased website using PHP), Postgres starts
> filling up my drive with pg_sorttemp files. It appears that one of the
> processes gets caught up and just keep churning out more sorttemps, as
> the CPU load also hits the roof.

Hmm, I'm not aware of any circumstances under which 6.5.* is less stable
than 6.3.2 --- all my experience points in the other direction. Can
you be more specific about what kinds of queries are causing this?
If nothing else comes to mind, I'd suggest starting the postmaster with
a -d level high enough to record query info in the postmaster log.

regards, tom lane