PostgreSQL_db_change_notification

From: iceDice <nmilasinovic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL_db_change_notification
Date: 2009-07-06 17:57:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,

Does PostgreSQL supports some database change notification mechanism?
I have Java Swing application and PostgreSQL database for storing data.
The problem is that my database can change at any moment and instead of
querying
the database every 5 seconds, I would like the database to some how send my
application
a notification of a change when it happens.

I would appreciate if someone can give me example how to accomplish it
between JDBC and PostgreSQL.

Thanks.