Re: Starting PostgreSQL on OS X 10.8

From: Joel Hedden <jhedden(at)apple(dot)com>
To: Eric Lemings <eric(at)lemings(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Starting PostgreSQL on OS X 10.8
Date: 2012-08-17 19:21:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Eric,
After seeing that error, you should check the status with a "sudo serveradmin fullstatus postgres" to see if it is responsive. That error may show up if the database startup takes longer than expected. You could also try connecting with psql, etc.

Did you upgrade from an OS X Server Lion system? If so, a log in /Library/Server/PostgreSQL/Migration should confirm whether pg_upgrade was run successfully. Also /Library/Logs/ServerSetup.log should show 05_postgresmigrator.rb exiting with a result code 0.

Does /Library/Logs/PostgreSQL/PostgreSQL.log contain any hints, or anything at all?
Also check /var/log/system.log for "servermgr_postgres" entries.

Also be aware that other server services (Profile Manager, Wiki, Calendar & Contacts server) use this database instance and cluster, and toggling its state may affect those services. We advise creating a new webapp plist (see 'man webappctl', 'man webapp.plist') with a dependency on 'org.postgres.postgresql' for your use.

Another option is to install PostgreSQL from a port (MacPorts, Homebrew, etc.) but the OS X Server installation should work for you.

It would also be interesting to know if the services that use postgres (mentioned earlier) are functional. You could start the Wiki service, connect to http://127.0.0.1/ and create a new wiki page to confirm.

-Joel Hedden