Re: Need indexes on empty tables for good performance ?

From: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: "Lenard, Rohan (Rohan)" <rlenard(at)avaya(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need indexes on empty tables for good performance ?
Date: 2005-08-29 20:15:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

Rohan,

You should note that in Postgres, indexes are not inherited by child
tables.

Also, it seems difficult to select from a child table whose name you
don't know unless you access the parent. And if you are accessing the
data via the parent, I'm reasonably certain that you will find that
indexes aren't used (even if they exist on the children) as a result
of the way the children are accessed.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect