Re: Warning about invalid .pgpass passwords

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Eamonn Martin <mas01em(at)gold(dot)ac(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Warning about invalid .pgpass passwords
Date: 2010-03-11 01:07:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm inclined to think that maybe we should make the server return a
>> distinct SQLSTATE for "bad password", and have libpq check for that
>> rather than just assuming that the failure must be bad password.

> Modifying the backend to issue this hint seems like overkill, unless we
> have some other use for it.

I wouldn't suggest it if I thought it were only helpful for this
particular message. It seems to me that we've spent a lot of time
kluging around the lack of certainty about whether a connection failure
is a password issue. Admittedly a lot of that was between libpq and its
client, but the state of affairs on the wire isn't great either.

I'm not convinced we have to do it that way, but now is definitely
the time to think about it before we implement yet another
sort-of-good-enough kluge. Which is what this is.