Re: Python interface and Money?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: thomas(at)pgsql(dot)com
Cc: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>, Joel Mc Graw <jmcgraw(at)databill(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Python interface and Money?
Date: 2001-10-24 21:10:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> Hmm. If we keep the money type then we should change the internal
> implementation to use numeric or decimal or at least int64 instead of
> int32. Comments?

I'd suggested some time ago that money should be rewritten as a thin
wrapper around numeric: it wouldn't have to do much except substitute
new I/O functions, and perhaps find a way to set the default scale
to match whatever is the customary number of monetary decimal places
in the current locale. I think this is already on the TODO list.