Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes
Date: 2021-03-03 01:17:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/3/21 1:17 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-Mar-03, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
>> That's kinda my point - I agree the size of the patch is not the
>> primary concern, but it makes the minmax/inclusion code a bit more
>> complicated (because they now have to loop over the keys), with
>> very little benefit (there might be some speedup, but IMO it's
>> rather negligible).
>
> Yeah, OK.
>
>> Alternatively we could simply remove the code supporting the old
>> API with "consistent" functions without the additional parameter.
>> But the idea was to seamlessly support existing opclasses / not
>> breaking them unnecessarily (I know we don't guarantee that in
>> major upgrades, but as they may not benefit from this, why break
>> them?). It'd simplify the code in brin.c a little bit, but the
>> opclasses a bit more complex.
>
> Well, I doubt any opclass-support functions exist outside of core. Or
> am I just outdated and we do know of some?

I'm not aware of any. This was proposed by Nikita Glukhov:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/49cb668f-d6f9-3493-681d-7d40b715ef64%40postgrespro.ru

Alexander Korotkov seemed to agree with Nikita, but I don't recall any
references to actual existing opclasses.

Then again - the amount of code to support two signatures is fairly
small. If we decide to get rid of it, then fine - but the new complexity
in minmax/inclusion likely exceeds that.

Which is why I was thinking about still supporting both signatures, but
reverting the changes in brin_minmax and brin_inclusion.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company