Re: XMAX_LOCK_ONLY and XMAX_COMMITTED (fk/multixact code)

From: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Schneider (AWS), Jeremy" <schnjere(at)amazon(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: XMAX_LOCK_ONLY and XMAX_COMMITTED (fk/multixact code)
Date: 2021-12-01 18:59:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/30/21, 4:54 PM, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
> v2 attached.

I accidentally left a redundant check in v2, so here is a v3 without
it.

My proposed patch adds a few checks for the unsupported bit patterns
in the visibility code, but it is far from exhaustive. I'm wondering
if it might be better just to add a function or macro that everything
exported from heapam_visibility.c is expected to call. My guess is
the main argument against that would be the possible performance
impact.

Nathan

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Disallow-HEAP_XMAX_COMMITTED-and-HEAP_XMAX_IS_LOC.patch application/octet-stream 9.7 KB