Re: [#14748606] comp.databases.postgresql hierarchy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [#14748606] comp.databases.postgresql hierarchy
Date: 2004-09-30 18:01:42
Lists: pgsql-www

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Is it possible that our lists-to-newsgroups gateway is broken? Before I
>> start getting pushy with Google, I want to make sure it's not our problem.

> Its actually redundant ... Oliver, in France, is running one also, same
> hierarchy, same message-ids, so that there are no duplicates .. so both
> would have to be broken at the same time ...

I don't believe that they really cut us off for inactivity, because they
have postings up through 16 Sept and we know that the cutoff occurred
then or within a very few days afterwards.

A different semi-legitimate reason for a cutoff is that, so far as I
know, the comp.databases.postgresql newsgroups never went through the
formal vote process to be recognized as legitimate mainstream
newsgroups. Back when I was a netnews administrator for CMU, it was
common practice to refuse to carry groups that hadn't passed such a
vote, and I imagine it still is. I haven't heard that Google is getting
strict about this (and they sure didn't mention it in their comments)
but if they are then we don't have much of a leg to stand on.