Re: 2PC transaction id

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2PC transaction id
Date: 2005-07-01 02:21:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> writes:
> Do the transaction id's used in 2PC need to be unique across all
> sessions?
> Do we provide a mechanism for this ?
> If not shouldn't we provide a way to create a unique transaction id ?

I see no value in that at all. The point of 2PC is to synchronize with
other databases running other transactions; an ID assigned by one
database that can only be guaranteed unique with respect to that
database is really pretty useless. In practice the IDs will be assigned
by the transaction manager module according to its own needs.