Re: SERIAL problems?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zboszor(at)dunaweb(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SERIAL problems?
Date: 2006-06-06 21:28:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zoltan Boszormenyi <zboszor(at)dunaweb(dot)hu> writes:
> What are the "existing problems"?

Please read the archives; this has been discussed recently.
There's a lot of disagreement about what ALTER should allow
and what pg_dump should do with an altered sequence.

> I am asking because I am experimenting to implement
> the SQL2003 compliant form for the serial type
> to be able specify the underlying sequence
> parameters:

Be aware that the big problem with SQL2003 is that it expects an
"action at a distance" behavior whereby different references to a
generator all return the same result if executed within the same
query cycle. This makes the construct not equivalent to either
nextval() or currval(), but some hybrid with hidden state; and
changing of that state would have to tie into core parts of the
executor. It looks pretty messy :-(