pgsql ODBC 8.1.200 MSSQL Migration Errors

From: "Daniel Holm" <Daniel(dot)Holm(at)interworksinc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgsql ODBC 8.1.200 MSSQL Migration Errors
Date: 2006-03-01 00:08:25
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I am converting a MS SQL 2000 (SP3) database over to PostgreSQL 8.1
using the latest ODBC driver (08.01.0200). I am using a DTS package in
SQL server to copy the data over, but I have a table with a "Text"
column, and the largest piece of data is 220,843 bytes.

The first issue I encountered, each row with my Text column over close
to 9,200 bytes, would print the following:
Data for source column 6 ('MyTextField') is too large for the
specified buffer size.

Searching through the list, I saw to uncheck the "Text as LongVarChar"
option, I tried this, but received the same error for every row over
1,278 bytes, strange.

I reset "Text as LongVarChar" to true, then bumped up the size of Max
LongVarChar from 8,190 to 32,000. This actually worked for every row
over 32,000 bytes, progress!

Next, when I set size of "Max LongVarChar" to 225,000 bytes, I receive
the same error for rows over around 30,000 bytes, strange again.

If I bump it up further to 230,000 bytes, every row fails with the
error:
Query-based insertion or updating of BLOB values is not supported.
It also looks like it was unable to allocate proper memory and is
pulling garbage data from somewhere for every row.

Does anyone have any ideas?

In addition to this, I have a table with a column of type "Image" going
into column of type "bytea", and appear to have a similar problem,
though I haven't pinpointed the exact size it starts complaining at.
In addition to those errors, I receive:
Insert error, column 3 ('imagefile', DBTYPE_BYTES), status 2: Error
converting value.

Thanks in advance!

-Daniel