Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum

From: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum
Date: 2022-01-11 01:01:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I agree, Renaming "index_vacuum_count" can be taken up in a separate discussion.

I have attached the 3rd revision of the patch which also includes the documentation changes. Also attached is a rendered html of the docs for review.

"max_index_vacuum_cycle_time" has been removed.
"index_rows_vacuumed" renamed to "index_tuples_removed". "tuples" is a more consistent with the terminology used.
"vacuum_cycle_ordinal_position" renamed to "index_ordinal_position".

On 1/10/22, 12:30 PM, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:

On 1/6/22, 6:14 PM, "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
> I am hesitant to make column name changes for obvious reasons, as it breaks existing tooling. However, I think there is a really good case to change "index_vacuum_count" as the name is confusing. "index_vacuum_cycles_completed" is the name I suggest if we agree to rename.
>
> For the new column, "num_indexes_to_vacuum" is good with me.

Yeah, I think we can skip renaming index_vacuum_count for now. In any
case, it would probably be good to discuss that in a separate thread.

Nathan

Attachment Content-Type Size
progress-reporting.html text/html 50.1 KB
0001-Expose-progress-for-the-vacuuming-indexes-phase-of-a.patch application/octet-stream 20.0 KB