Re: transactions start time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Aleksei Arefjev <aleksei(dot)arefjev(at)nordicgaming(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transactions start time
Date: 2012-07-25 14:56:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

Aleksei Arefjev <aleksei(dot)arefjev(at)nordicgaming(dot)com> writes:
> On 24 July 2012 20:21, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but are there more than 48 million
>> BEGINs that took 0s each (presumably rounded down) and then a handful
>> taking about 0.8s?

I'm wondering exactly where/how the duration was measured. If it was at
a client, maybe the apparent delay had something to do with network
glitches? It seems suspicious that all the outliers are around 0.8s.
It would be useful to look to see if there's any comparable pattern
for statements other than BEGIN.

As Richard says, a BEGIN by itself ought to take negligible time.