Re: On login trigger: take three

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mikhail Gribkov <youzhick(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ivan Panchenko <wao(at)mail(dot)ru>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: On login trigger: take three
Date: 2023-10-29 22:21:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 6:16 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> It looks to me that what happened here is that the backend completed the
>> authentication handshake, and then the login trigger caused a FATAL exit,
>> and after than the connected psql session tried to send "SELECT 1" on
>> an already-closed pipe. That failed, causing IPC::Run to panic.

Looking closer, what must have happened is that the psql session ended
before IPC::Run could jam 'SELECT 1' into its stdin. I wonder if this
could be stabilized by doing 'psql -c "SELECT 1"' and not having to
write anything to the child process stdin? But I'm not sure this test
case is valuable enough to put a great deal of work into.

>> mamba is a fairly slow machine and doubtless has timing a bit different
>> from what this test was created on. But I doubt there is any way to make
>> this behavior perfectly stable across a range of machines, so I recommend
>> just removing the test case involving a fatal exit.

> Makes sense. Are you good with the attached patch?

OK by me, though I note you misspelled "mallory" in the comment.