Re: memory paramters for building indexes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shreya Bhargava <shreya_bhargav(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: memory paramters for building indexes
Date: 2007-07-14 21:26:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Shreya Bhargava <shreya_bhargav(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> for each of the above value, I created a hash index on a 1.17GB table.

Hash index build doesn't have any need for workspace, so it will not go
faster with larger work_mem. Try it with a regular btree index.

> Am i missing something?

Have you read the statements in the manual that discourage you from
using hash indexes at all? Our current implementation of them has
no known advantages over a btree, and several major disadvantages.