Re: BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: toruvinn <toruvinn(at)lain(dot)pl>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance
Date: 2009-07-15 14:59:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-performance

> toruvinn wrote:
>> I was always wondering, though, why PostgreSQL uses this approach and not
>> its catalogs.

> It does use the catalog for most things. THe flatfile is used for the
> situations where the catalogs are not yet ready to be read.

Now that we have SQL-level CONNECT privilege, I wonder just how much
functionality would be lost if we got rid of the flat files and told
people they had to use CONNECT to do any per-user or per-database
access control.

The main point I can see offhand is that password checking would have
to be done a lot later in the startup sequence, with correspondingly
more cycles wasted to reject bad passwords.