Re: git: uh-oh

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Haggerty <mhagger(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git: uh-oh
Date: 2010-08-20 17:28:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com> writes:
> The history that cvs2svn is aiming to represent here is this:

> 1) At the time of creation of the REL8_4_STABLE branch, plperl_opmask.pl
> did *not* exist.

> 2) Later, it was added to trunk.

> 3) Then, someone retroactively added the branch tag to the file, marking
> it as included in the REL8_4_STABLE branch. [This corresponds to the git
> changeset that Robert is questioning]

Uh, no. We have never "retroactively added" anything to any branch.
I don't know enough about the innards of CVS to know what its internal
representation of this sort of thing is, but all that actually happened
here was a "cvs add" and a "cvs commit" in REL8_4_STABLE long after the
branch occurred. We would like the git history to look like that too.