Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Gary Cowell <gary_cowell(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?
Date: 2004-06-18 17:01:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

>> [... thinks for awhile ...] It seems possible that they may use sort
>> code that knows it is performing a DISTINCT operation and discards
>> duplicates on sight. Given that there are only 534 distinct values,
>> the sort would easily stay in memory if that were happening.

> Could this optimization be added to PostgreSQL? It sounds like a very
> reasonable thing to do.

That's what I was wondering about too. But first I'd like to get
some kind of reading on how effective it would be. If someone can
demonstrate that Oracle can do sort-and-drop-dups a lot faster than
it can do a straight sort of the same amount of input data, that
would be a strong indication that it's worth doing. At this point
we don't know if that's the source of their win or not.