Stored Procedure examples

From: Vladimir Zelinski <zelvlad(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Stored Procedure examples
Date: 2007-02-14 21:35:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello everyone,

I'm a brand new person to postgreSql, but not for
databases. I came from Oracle and Sybase areas.

I'm struggling to create a stored procedure. I
searched on Internet for several hours trying to find
a simple example, but didn't find anything. I saw
dozens of questions how to create a procedure without
any responses. I searched on postgreSql site and found
a topic "Stored Procedure Example". But actually, they
showed how to write a function on postgreSql database.
I understand that sometimes it's possible to use a
function instead of a SP and vice versa, but it's
still different database objects. Can somebody show me
an example of SP for postgreSql? It doesn't have to be
complex, but it should be complete. I want to be able
cut & paste into editor and compile it without errors.
I would like to emphasize that I don't need an
example for a function; I have tons of them but I
don't have ANY stored procedure example.

It would be great if you point me to a site with
PostgreSql examples for different Stored Procedures if
they actually exist as database objects on postgreSql
database.

Thank you,
Vladimir