Re: debugging SQL statements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stuart Kendrick <skendric(at)fhcrc(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: debugging SQL statements
Date: 2010-11-28 16:58:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

Stuart Kendrick <skendric(at)fhcrc(dot)org> writes:
> Usually, I see the SQL statements which my application emits appear in
> syslog:

You have not shown us your log-related settings, but it looks like the
log entries you're mentioning here are for duration logging, which is
only done on successful completion.

> But when my application emits this statement, postgres logs neither the
> SQL query nor an error message ... just the usual connect/disconnect
> stuff. And the result set, of course, is empty.

Perhaps you have log_min_error_statement set to a funny value? But I'd
suspect there is some logic error on the client side such that you're
never actually submitting the statement.