Re: Maximum Number Tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Ashvinder Singh <ashvindersingh(at)hfcl(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maximum Number Tables
Date: 2004-04-15 23:33:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 00:28, Ashvinder Singh wrote:
>> What is the maximum number of tables I can have in a PGSql Database,
>> without affecting performance?

> The number of tables is irrelevant,

Not necessarily ... if you are using a filesystem in which directory
lookups in large directories are inefficient, you could have a problem,
since each table will correspond to a file within the database
directory. If you're planning on having more than a few thousand
tables you'll want to choose a filesystem that copes well with large
directories.

But having said that, an application that needs several thousand
distinct tables is usually an application that needs a redesign.
Consider folding the data into fewer tables with more key columns.