Regarding Postgres and Active Directories.

From: "SriHarsha Angara" <mynameissriharsha(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Regarding Postgres and Active Directories.
Date: 2008-05-03 00:48:13
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hey,
I have a system which connects to a microsoft active directory for
authentication of users. Now i have a postgres database back end. Now
for users to connect to the database i make a JDBC call from my front
end. I am trying to connect my postgres database to an active
directory ie Microsoft server, using LDAP.From the documentation, i
understand that for the database to authenticate users of a active
directory using LDAP,the user has to be on the postgres database. Is
this true? Or is it like this that, we can add users to the active
directory server, and once we connect to the database using JDBC, we
can pass the user credentials and can the authentication mechanism of
postgres directly pass these credentials to the active directory
server for authenticate? in other words will the change on the active
directory automatically allow me to access the database without having
to create a user manually on postgres.
Please do let me know.
Thanks.
SriHarsha Angara