Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/datatype.sgml

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ron Mayer <ron(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ron Mayer <ron(at)intervideo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/datatype.sgml
Date: 2004-01-05 05:47:52
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-patches

Ron Mayer <ron(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com> writes:
> Would formatting functions for intervals such as...
> to_iso8601basic_char(interval) -- return ISO-8601 basic fmt interval
> to_iso8601basic_char(timestamp) -- return ISO-8601 basic fmt date/time
> would be better than a new GUC variable?

I could see arguments for both --- in the timestamp world we have
DateStyle to control the default output format, plus to_char when you
want something different. I'd suggest continuing with your plan of
providing GUC control over the default interval format (just use a
separate GUC variable, please, for orthogonality). If you want to add
an explicit formatting function later, you can do that too.

BTW, I do not recall exactly why Karel wants to deprecate
to_char(interval), but I don't think it's because of any fundamental
objection to the notion of a formatting function. I think it was
because the present definition is badly designed and needs to be
replaced with a different API.