Inserting preset values into a serial column

From: Michael Rowan <mike(dot)rowan(at)internode(dot)on(dot)net>
To: postgresql novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Inserting preset values into a serial column
Date: 2010-07-21 14:53:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

PostgreSQL 8.4.4.1

Can someone pls confirm that, provided I am doing it right, I can insert a row into a table where the primary key is serial NOT NULL and a (unique) value is provided in the offered data? I cannot see an answer to this specific point in the docs.

TIA

Michael Rowan
mike(dot)rowan(at)internode(dot)on(dot)net

11 Kingscote Street
ALBERTON
South Australia 5014

tel 618 8240 3993