AW: Big 7.1 open items

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AW: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-15 08:26:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu> writes:
> > Any strong objections to the mixed relname_oid solution?
>
> Yes!
>
> You cannot make it work reliably unless the relname part is
> the original
> relname and does not track ALTER TABLE RENAME.

It does, or should at least. Only problem case is where db crashes during
alter or commit/rollback. This could be fixed by first open that fails to
find the file
or vacuum, or some other utility.

> IMHO having
> an obsolete
> relname in the filename is worse than not having the relname at all;
> it's a recipe for confusion, it means you still need admin
> tools to tell
> which end is really up, and what's worst is you might think you don't.
>
> Furthermore it requires an additional column in pg_class to keep track
> of the original relname, which is a waste of space and effort.

it does not.

> Finally, one of the reasons I want to go to filenames based
> only on OID
> is that that'll make life easier for mdblindwrt. Original
> relname + OID
> doesn't help, in fact it makes life harder (more shmem space needed to
> keep track of the filename for each buffer).

I do not see this. filename is constructed from relname+oid.
if not found, do directory scan for *_<OID>.dat, if found --> rename.

Andreas