Re: Switching to XML

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-12 01:47:14
Lists: pgsql-docs

David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net> writes:
> Does the designation of "downstream work" apply here? I was
> intending to contribute back any changes required, to enable anyone
> else to build the multiple volume version for printing.

Changes required where? AFAICS the useful content of your work would
probably be in the stylesheets, which there is already an XML version
of.

> I also would like to reiterate the fact that the localization
> efforts would appreciate not having to re-do their work for each
> release.

How exactly does working from an osx translation rather than hand-edited
sources handicap them? Or even more to the point, which part of their
work don't they have to redo anyway? We certainly have never hesitated
to whack the documentation around in small ways and large...