Re: ArrayLists instead of List (for some things)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: ArrayLists instead of List (for some things)
Date: 2017-11-02 14:17:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Comments on the design are welcome, but I was too late to the
> commitfest, so there are other priorities. However, if you have a
> strong opinion, feel free to voice it.

I do not like replacing Lists piecemeal; that's a recipe for ongoing
API breakage and back-patching pain. Plus we'll then have *four*
different linked-list implementations in the backend, which sure
seems like too many.

We've jacked up the List API and driven a new implementation underneath
once before. Maybe it's time to do that again.